So this is one of those blogs I wrote on my ipod in the hopes of finding internet and being able to upload it. Here it is (unaltered, as promised).
I am still on break and am typing this on my iPod. Apologies in advance for any typos. Only a short amount of time So I want to give an update on the medieval pub crawl. We met up with a Colgate professor who is on sabbatical in London. We all ate lunch at the Old English Bank restaurant, which I highly recommend. They specialize in British pies - these are like a croissant with meat and sauces stuffed inside but in the shape of a pie. I had the chicken, apple and cider pie which was very delicious. We all made sure to eat everything on our plates and drink a lot of water in anticipation of lots of beer. After stuffing ourselves we headed out to start the tour. Unfortunately medieval London doesn't exist so we had to use our imaginations. We were shown the places where the wall would have stood and all of the castles that were built over the years. It was, if nothing else, informative. The professor leading the tour walked very fast- too fast for some of our group. We lost professor Frank a few times and she ended up calling me to ask where we were. If our group got stuck on opposite sides of the road due to traffic signals the professor didn't wait. The tour lasted for about four hours and I am convinced that in that time we sprinted ten miles around London. See, the thing is, this wasn't a pub crawl - it merely started and ended at a pub. Very sad. The redeemig pert was that we didn't have to pay for our own beer at the end point pub. It was called the Jerusalem Tavern and I definitely would not have gone there if not for this tour. The place had all these interesting local beers. I decided to be adventurous and try something funny sounding. I was congraulated for my bravery and tried the honey porter - it really smelled like honey! It had a hugely strong flavor and was very hard to finish. Sammie promised me a margharita if I finished it and it is also a crime not to finish free beer so I drank the whole thing. I was sad that we didn't do a real pub crawl but I did enjoy my tour of London! Sent from my iPod
No comments:
Post a Comment