Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I AM CURSED

First, watch this video imagining that I am the dude in the Hooters sweatshirt. The video was appropriately shot at Edinburgh airport.


Let me explain my curse, though to be fair Sammi shares part of the curse.
First: there is a way to get cursed at St. Andrews. In the 1500s a man named Patrick Hamilton was burned at the stake outside a local church. Because it had rained the day before all the logs were wet and he ended up smoldering on the stake for quite some time. Sucks, I know. But because he had so long tied to the stake, he was able to issue a curse. Anyone who stepped on the spot where he was burned would be cursed. Today there are stones laid in the sidewalk in making a P and H. Students regularly jump over the letters, and I have been fortunate enough not to step on them. SO I SHOULD NOT BE CURSED! I even did the May Dip, which is the only cure for the curse.
Here is how I have been cursed:
On April 16 Sammi, Emily and I were supposed to go to Munich for the spring beer festival. I was looking forward to this for many reasons, including the beer tents, carnival rides and getting to see Germany. But the Pesky Icelandic Volcano (PIV) decided to erupt two days before and Europe experienced and unprecedented 5-day shutdown of nearly all airspace. So I didn't get to go. I came to terms with it by reassuring myself that getting volcano-ed out of a vacation would make a great story sometime in the future.
6 hours ago I was supposed to be in a cab on my way to Edinburgh airport. Sammi and I were going to Amsterdam and the Hague and then taking a train to Brussels. Guess what? Oh you are so smart. My flight got cancelled. Not only was it cancelled, but they only decided to cancel it 6 hours before takeoff. Thankfully we live close enough to the airport that we did not show up. Had I woken up at 4:00am and not been able to fly I would have been very, very grumpy. Interestingly enough, our flight out this morning is the only one canceled. And even though we were flying a different airline back to Scotland we decided not to risk it. With our luck we would get stuck in Brussels, miss finals, and ultimately end up being hobos in Belgium. So we have missed out on yet another getaway.

Thankfully Emily, who was not going to Amsterdam and Brussels, has been trying to put together a few shorter trips this week. Looks like we are going to take a trip to the castle where a lot of Hogwarts footage in Harry Potter was filmed. And we might take a trip to go hiking not too far from here. There will still be stuff to do, and I am excited about getting to see more of Scotland, but I am very bummed I won't get to see the Hague. I am also concerned about this curse I seem to have picked up. I guess I will have to go jump into the North Sea again.

No comments:

Post a Comment