Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dad comes to Scotland!

This weekend Dad came to visit me at St. Andrews. British Airways is currently on strike, so his flights home for today got all screwed up and he had to leave at 7am. So we said goodbye last night. But we had a very full day of hanging out and walking around!
The day started bright and early at 8am when I met him at his hotel to have breakfast there. Breakfast only went until 9, so I had to get up early to go eat. After breakfast we walked along The Scores until we came to the castle. We didn't want to pay to go in, so instead we admired it from the outside and then climbed down to the beach right next to it. It was very low tide, and we could see the rocks that were normally covered by water. I think this is where the May Dip takes place, so I will have to remember to watch where I step because some of those rocks looked pointy.
We then went to explore the cathedral, at which point the sun decided to come out and say hello. I'd been to the cathedral a few times before, but I think Dad liked it. We tried to figure out what it would have looked like before it was destroyed. It was pretty hard to picture, and I think I almost like it better the way it is now. There's something really neat about walking in the ruins of a cathedral that was built in the 1300s. Had it not been destroyed, I almost think it would have been made-over. It's like the destruction was a way of preserving the original architecture. Just a thought. Anyway, after our visit to the cathedral we went to the beach near the piers. It was still very low tide and we saw the strangest things. Boats (they normally float on top of water) were sitting at the bottom of the river/inlet-thing on a bed of sand. The tide was so low that the passage normally used to come from the ocean to the harbor was dry. And the boats just sat there. People had to climb a good 20 feet down a steel ladder to reach their boats. It was very strange, but I guess it is a good anti-theft measure. I had never seen that part of the beach at low tide, so it was a new sight.
We continued walking along the beach and got to see a lot of dogs running in and out of the water and playing fetch. I even got to pet a puppy! That was definitely an exciting moment. I really miss my dog...
After lunch we walked over to East Sands, which is the really big beach in town. There were a lot more dogs there, and by now the tide was starting to come in. After walking a ways down, we just sat down in the sand and took in the view. It was very pretty, and sort of warm since the sun was still out. I'm also happy to announce that the building at the end of the golf course that was under construction is no longer covered in ugly green scaffolding! So if I have time this week I will run down there and take pictures of the golf course!
Before dinner we went to see "Crazy Hearts" at the local movie theater. It was actually a really good movie. I also found out that Jeff Bridges and Colin Farrell did all their own singing, so that was really neat. I definitely recommend the movie. We had dinner at a local pub and then just hung out a little more. Dad walked me back to my room and we said goodbye around 10:30. It was a very long day, but very nice to see my dad.
This coming week is going to be very crazy - it is the last week of classes before spring break. I have a group project to finish up, reading to do, a midterm to take (which I should probably study for) and packing to do! Must get to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment